Wisdom Teeth Extraction
With age comes wisdom. Annoyingly, so do your wisdom teeth.
Your mouth goes through many changes in your lifetime. One major dental milestone that usually takes place between the ages of 17 and 21 is the appearance of your third molars. Historically, these teeth have been called wisdom teeth because they come through at a more mature age.
When they come through correctly, healthy wisdom teeth can help you chew. Similar to your other teeth, It’s normal to feel a little discomfort when your wisdom teeth appear, but if you have pain, see your dentist immediately. Call us on (03) 5221 8452
Problems with wisdom teeth
- Wisdom teeth can lead to problems if there isn’t enough space for them to surface or they come through in the wrong position. This is also know as impaction.
- As your wisdom teeth make their way through your gums, your dentist will be monitoring your mouth for signs of the following:
- Wisdom teeth that aren’t in the right position can allow food to become trapped. That gives cavity-causing bacteria a place to grow.
- Wisdom teeth that haven’t come in properly, which can make it difficult to floss between the wisdom teeth and the molars next to them.
- Wisdom teeth that have partially come through can give bacteria a place to enter the gums and create a place for infection to occur. This may also lead to pain, swelling and stiffness in your jaw.
- Wisdom teeth that don’t have room to come through are thought by some to crowd or damage neighboring teeth.
- A wisdom tooth that is impacted can form a cyst on or near the impacted tooth. This could damage the roots of nearby teeth or destroy the bone that supports your teeth.
Why You Might Need to Have Your Wisdom Teeth Removed
Every patient is unique, but in general, wisdom teeth may need to be removed when there is evidence of changes in the mouth such as:
- Damage to neighboring teeth
- Gum disease
- Tooth decay (if it is not possible or desirable to restore the tooth)
- Your dentist may also recommend removal of wisdom teeth as part of treatment for braces or other dental care.
Before making any decisions, your dentist will examine your mouth and take an x-ray. Together, you and your dentist can discuss the best course of treatment.
At Geelong Dental Group, Dr Claudia performs most complicated/ difficult wisdom teeth extraction for our patients. She has had immense experience when it comes to wisdom teeth extraction throughout her long career. Her caring nature also helps calm our patients as she has full understanding on how it can be stressful for the patients. Call us on (03) 5221 8452